Yesterday was a busy day in sports overall. The start of the 30+ Bowl Games got underway yesterday. The St. Petersburgh Bowl between Rutgers and UCF was boring, but the New Mexico Bowl was not. Wyoming was down 28-17 and came back to tie the game at 28-28 with a late field goal. Fresno State stormed right down inside the 2 yard line in the first overtime, but somehow Wyoming stopped them 4 straight times, in one of the greatest goal line stands I've ever seen. I remember when Syracuse tried to score against Iowa 8 times in goal to go situations (because of a penalty they had 8) and that was the greatest goalline stand I've ever seen. But then Wyoming played the game stupid and conservative. Barely gaining in yardage and not trying to help out there kicker. Needless to say he missed it wide left. But in the second overtime Wyoming got aggressive and scored a TD and then their defense held to give them a 35-28 victory. A 6-6 team, who was 4-4 in a crappy conference won a bowl game. If only you could get to 6-6 Zips if only. By the way, when Wyoming won the game, their fans rushed the field, if only Zips fans could do that as well. One other note from this game: The announcer said that the offense needed to be careful in overtime because a Defensive score means the end of the game. For as long as I've known defensive possession in college overtime means the ball is dead and a defenseive touchdown cannot be scored (maybe a safety though idk), either I'm completely nieve to the rule, there are new rules, or this announcer needs to learn the rules. For Pete sake he's announcing on ESPN and he doesn't even know the rules.
Well, the Penguins won their 5th straight yesterday (aint it gr8). Another shootout victory. I turned the game on in overtime. The Pens survived a 4 on 3 powerplay in the extra period, before winning in shootouts. Fluery had 3 straight saves, he is a beast. I think the Penguins are gonna repeat what they did in the 1990s and win back-to-back Cups. They are the dominate team right now and with their chemistry and Fluery's play anything is possible.
Speaking of teams with Pen in their name, how about the Penn State women's volleyball team. For the first time in their 102-game winning streak the Nittany Lions went down 0-2 and to Texas the #2 team in the country. Penn State barely won each of the next three sets, in fact overall Texas outscored them. But the Nittany Lions had a heart of a Lion, winning their 4th title and 3rd consecutive. True dominance and class in Penn State volleyball. As a result Texas probably will not win a national title this year because Bama is gonna roast them in football. Texas girl with the last name Hooker was a beast, I would not want to defend her spikes. Great job for both teams, great fight.
Finally lets talk about the Saints. 13-1, I'm pretty disappointed, but got to give the Cowboys credit. They came into the SuperDome and smacked the Saints in the mouth, getting pressure on Drew Brees all day long. You guys need to get a new kicker though, Nick Folk has now missed 10 field goals this season, that's 30 points off the board. His 24-yarder ringing off the post gave the Saints life, but the drive just took too long and the boys forced a fumble. Valiant comeback effort by the Saints, but it was not enough. I was hoping for 16-0 and even 19-0 for my 3rd favorite team, but getting a loss out of the way isn't such a bad thing, if they clinch homefield next week then they can rest their starters Week 17, it will also take the pressure off them. I think the Colts will still go undefeated in the regular season, we shall see in the playoffs. Another good thing that comes out of this is that the Cowboys may make the playoffs over the Giants and Falcons, which I would prefer Dallas over both those teams, they really need to win out though because Giants have the tie-breaker. The Saints win eliminates Seattle and Carolina.
Today:
I will be watching a little of the Browns-Chiefs game and whatever game is on FOX from 1-1:30. The reason I say whatever is on FOX is because originally the Ravens-Bears game was scheduled in that time slot, but since the Bears got delayed coming out of Chicago airport last night, the game got pushed to 4:15. After that I will be going to the Akron vs. St. Francis basketball game, then depending on if I'm still sick or if I'm well enough I will either help out with Sports Power Talk for WZIP Sports or stay home, either way I will be watching my Bengals play the Chargers. Which...isn't on television by the way...Honestly it should be on NBC tonight. I checked and they still do have the FLEX schedule, yet they still show the Vikings vs. the eliminated Panthers. I don't understand how Chargers 10-3 vs. Bengals 9-4 battling for the 2nd seed isn't a better game than the Vikings-Panthers, but whatever Bengals are 1 win or one Baltimore loss away from winning the AFC North and yet they have 0 Primetime games this year.
NFL PREDICTIONS (Week 15):
Patriots over Bills
Cardinals over Lions
Texans over Rams
Browns over Chiefs (UPSET time, Browns will have a winning streak)
Titans over Dolphins
Jets over Falcons
Broncos over Raiders
Chargers over Bengals (It sucks Chris Henry died, but Bengals aren't gonna win in San Diego, Chargers are just too good)
Eagles over 49ers
Seahawks over Bucs
Ravens over Bears (Ravens will slaughter them, Bears schedule is all messed up because of that flight and Ravens are on a roll)
Steelers over Packers (Steelers have to win sometime and they are home)
Vikings over Panthers (Sunday Night Football...Child Please)
Giants over Redskins (Monday Night Football?...Child Please)
Primetime games...what a joke, although they picked Thursday and Saturday games well, Sunday and Monday are just stupid!
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Start of the Bowls, Pens/Penn State Domiance, Saints Not Perfect
Labels:
Akron Zips,
Cowboys,
Dallas,
Fresno State,
New Orleans,
NFL,
NFL Predictions,
Penguins,
Penn State,
Pens,
Pittsburgh,
Saints,
Texas,
Volleyball,
Wyoming
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment