I just came off one of the most rollercoaster rides in sports this past week.
Thursday Night a miracle happened. The Browns came to play and beat the Steelers 13-6. No Touchdowns! As a Bengals fan I rejoice in seeing Worthlessberger go 0-2 in Ohio this year and this all but eliminates the Steelers from the playoff picture.
Friday I headed up down to North Carolina with the Rowdies off one hour of sleep. I worked 12-4 AM then slept for an hour and got all my stuff and headed to the JAR at 6:00 AM. People started filing in around 6:30 AM and the book took off at 7. After the long 9-10 hour bus ride that only had one stop we arrived at the hotel. Gotta give props to the alumni on paying for our hotel room and bus trip. Only tickets and food were what we purchased.
Anyways we went to WakeMed Soccer Park. Willy wrote a poem on the bus and gave it, it was hilarious and modivational. I watched Wake Forest lose in overtime at the hands of my archenemy Diego 2-1. Some hott Wake Forest chicks tried to sell there championship tickets to us, no takers from what I saw. Anyways long story short Zips and Tar Heels battled for 110 minutes with no score. UNC was very fast, a red card from a double yellow card gave the Zips an 11-10 advantage on the field from late second half through both overtimes but couldn't capitalize. The 0-0 tie led to penalty kicks and the Zips preveiled 5-4. I was pacing back and forth not wanting to watch the PKs, too nerve-racking. I prefer Golden Goal to end the game. Anyways Akron got credited with a tie, ending there 23-game winning streak which is tied for 1st all-time. We celebrated and went back to the hotel. When I watched the replay of the game on TV the next day it was pretty clear we were the dominate crowd noise.
Sunday didn't have the same feel to it as Friday did...maybe it was because the weather was warmer, the rain? the fact that Willy didn't give a poem? or that we were heckled by the administration? It just didn't feel right. The game was very similiar to Fridays game, minus one factor: Diego. Yes that demonic goalie that knocked us out of the playoffs in 2007 and flipped us the bird when South Florida handed Akron its last loss at Lee Jackson Field, he transferred to Virginia. We heckled him to no end, and cheered our lungs out. I know my voice hasn't been the same since. After 110 minutes of no scoring, which Akron dominated in field possession we went to PKs again. When Virginia took a 3-1 lead there was little hope in the Rowdies hearts. But two saves by goalie David Meves gave the Zips a chance to tie the game and send it into extra PKs. With PKs at 3-2 Virginia, Diego dived the wrong way, but Blair Gavin's kick went over the goal. The Zips lost in the championship without giving up a goal the entire tournament. The Virginia players taunted us flipped us the bird, etc. before celebrating with their own fans. It is one thing for fans to be cocky and taunt other fans, but no athletes should EVER do this to fans. Anyways many Rowdies were in tears, otheres were furious, and others were just in shock. The bus was quiet, as was the ride back for the most part. So close it hurts. Officially we ended the season 23-1-1, but in my book we are either 24-1 or 23-0-2, either have the winning streak record or are undefeated pick one NCAA. "We'll be back next year" just didn't cheer me up this time.
The Bengals lost 30-10 to the Vikings Sunday as well, I didn't care, but it also didn't help. The Cardinals getting swept by the 49ers on Monday Night didn't boost my spirits either, but at least the Saints are 13-0 and the Browns beat the Steelers on the "13th" try.
My Cavs and Penguins didn't disappoint this week either. Cavs beat the Thunder, Nets, and 76ers this week. Pens knocked off the hated Flyers twice this week, including today in shootouts! Ironically since they played in Philadelphia, some of the Pens players went to the 76ers-Cavs game the night before. Malkin said that Lebron was "Big." lol
Then just when my spirits seemed to be boosted and I began to get over Sunday's loss...it hit. Chris Henry at the age of 26 died in North Carolina (I'm really beginning to hate that state), this morning. Henry changed his life around, and he really was one of my favorite players. With his heighth and speed he had so much potential, but he fell out of a truck and eventually passed away from fatal wounds. Bengaldom is in shock today, first Zimmer's wife now this, this team has endured a lot. Ochocinco who is always happy to see the media broke down into tears, that really got me. This wasn't any fake Chad crying about not getting the ball, this was Ocho trying to hold back the tears but couldn't, truly a tradgedy in that locker room. I hope the Bengals can rebound from this and take it to San Diego Sunday, maybe not win the Super Bowl from this, but at least win a playoff game. Dedicate the rest of the season to Henry. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and the Bengals players. SLIM was truly a changed player and will be remembered...Unbelievable he was just playing a month ago, I was just talking about him yesterday before the reck about how great we would be if he was still healthy, but now he's gone. It's like a lost a distant family member, never knew him personally, but he was still family, still watched him from being drafted till now. He was misunderstood. I only hope and pray he found Christ before he died, I know when he scored a touchdown this year or last he pointed to the sky. I can't believe he is dead, God Rest his sole!
RIP SLIM
and on that somber note I will end my first blog entry...
Thursday, December 17, 2009
First Entry - Mixed Feelings
Labels:
Akron,
Bengals,
Cavaliers,
Cavs,
Chris Henry,
Cleveland,
Penguins,
Pens,
Pittsburgh,
Zips
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment